Created in summer 2013 from funding designated by Provost and Executive Vice President of IU Bloomington Lauren Robel, this need-based scholarship supports minority student participation in study abroad programs by assisting them in covering some of the costs associated with international study.
Applications will be accepted from undergraduate students enrolled full-time in a degree-seeking program on the IU Bloomington campus who are in at least one of the following OVPDEMA programs or center:
- 21st Century Scholars Program
- Groups Scholars Program
- Hudson and Holland Scholars Program
- Academic Support Center (OVPDEMA-funded tutors only)
- Faculty and Staff for Student Excellence (FASE tutors only)
The study abroad experience must take place during the period immediately following applications. Applications submitted for retroactive reimbursement will not be considered.
To be eligible, students must be in good disciplinary and academic standing and maintain academic progress toward degree completion to receive the scholarship. They should have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5.
Students must be accepted to an IU Study Abroad program that offers credit, as listed under the IU Office of Overseas Study programs. Some IU departmental programs that have study abroad components are acceptable.
Applicants must comply with IU Office of Overseas Study academic policies. Seniors must have one semester to complete at IU upon their return from the study abroad program. Students who plan to graduate before they complete their study abroad experience during their last semester at IU are not eligible.
Students who demonstrate financial need will be given special consideration. Students receiving a full scholarship from another source are not eligible for this study abroad scholarship. Preference will be given to students who previously have not received OVPDEMA study abroad scholarships, and who do not have extensive overseas travel or study abroad experience.
The application for the Summer 2021 study abroad scholarship is due Monday, March 29, 2021. All application materials must be received by the deadline. Incomplete applications or applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
The application materials consist of:
Watch a short presentation about the OVPDEMA study abroad scholarships:
The application form requires an essay, which cannot exceed 350 words and should answer the following questions:
- Why do you want to undertake your program abroad?
- How will your study abroad contribute to your academic and/or professional growth?
- How will your study abroad contribute to your potential to give back to others?
The application requires two recommendaiton forms. Applicants must share the recommendation form links with your recommenders.
At least one of the recommendation forms must be filled out by an IU faculty member in the student’s major/minor. Graduate students are not considered faculty. If uncertain, students can use the IU Address Book to determine whether a recommender is faculty. Recommendations from family members will not be accepted, and recommendations from friends are only suitable if the friends can attest to the applicant’s work ethic or academic ability. Students are encouraged to get a recommendation from their program advisor/mentor.
Students who demonstrate financial program need will be given special consideration. Aside from the financial needs, the scholarship applications will be evaluated based on the following selection criteria:
- Quality of the applicant’s response to the scholarship essay (300-350 words maximum)
- Quality of the recommendation forms (one recommendation form must be from an IU faculty member in the applicant's major/minor)
- Whether the overseas program relates to the major/minor the applicant is pursuing
- Applicant’s cumulative GPA
- Applicant’s country of destination. Students are encouraged to consider studying in a non-traditional destination within the following regions of the world: Africa, Asia, Central or South America, Eastern Europe, or the Middle East.
- Limited previous experience abroad. Preference will be given to students who do not have extensive travel or study abroad experience.
Duration of the applicant’s study abroad program. Preference will be given to summer and semester-long programs.
- Whether the applicant is a previous recipient of an OVPDEMA study abroad scholarship. Preference will be given to students who previously have not received an OVPDEMA study abroad scholarships.
Scholarship awards will range from $250 to $4000. (The average award has been $1,600 per student in the past few years due to high volume of applications). OVPDEMA study abroad scholarship is not intended to pay for the entire study abroad program. We highly encourage students to seek additional funding sources to assist with their study abroad course expense. The scholarship amount varies based on the volume of qualified applications received the given semester.
Scholarship award notifications will be sent via email the last week of April, and funds will post to the awardee’s Statement of Account with the Indiana University Office of the Bursar. Award recipients will be required to submit pictures and short reports, the following semester after the study abroad program.
Questions about the OVPDEMA Study Abroad Scholarship Program or application process should be sent to email@example.com with the subject line Summer 2021 Study Abroad Scholarship Application.
IU has allowed a limited number of study abroad students and programs for Spring 2021 semester. No decision has been made about short-term programs that would start in the spring or summer semester yet. For most up-to-date information regarding IU study abroad and global mobility, please visit:
Students who applied for Summer 2021 OVPDEMA study abroad scholarships can defer their application materials to Fall 2021. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.